Canine Handler, Walt Disney World
Lake Buena Vista, Florida | Orlando, Florida
As a Security Host/Hostess, the main goal is to provide a safe and secure environment at Disney Parks & Resorts. Cast members may work in various locations throughout our Theme Park and Resort Hotel areas, both on-stage and backstage, maintaining an environment that enables our guests and cast members to experience the magic of Disney. By combining behavioral assessment procedures with technology, they perform enhanced screening at entry points, while maintaining diligent awareness of surroundings and communicating all vital information to team members.
- Full-time and Part-time Opportunities
- Paid Security Training
Here are some of the top qualities that will help you achieve success in this role:
I love working at the Walt Disney Company where our mission is to create happiness, also, being able to work with a very diverse and dynamic team makes it a rewarding career choice.- Colin, Disneyland Resort, Security Emergency Services
ResponsibilitiesJob ID 645591BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted Mar. 24, 2019
Job Summary:At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world. “We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
The Canine Handler team is responsible for a variety of canine handler activities at the Walt Disney World Resort, including; working as a team to inspect crowds, venues, personnel, cargo, vehicles, and buildings. Depending on the client, handler duties may include working major events and scanning the crowds.
Canine Handler Cast Members receive a rate starting at $16.40 per hour
- The Canine Handler position is expected to complete training courses, maintain yearly certification and maintain proficiency through weekly training with a company issued canine partner.
- Quickly and effectively respond to supervisory direction regarding the scope and direction of canine tasks.
- Possess ability throughout shift to: walk, stand, bend, and lift up to 90 lbs. to assist the canine into the vehicle, while keeping balance when handling the canine.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with cast members at all levels and all lines of business to provide excellent service to our Guests and Cast.
- Follow appropriate operating guidelines in regards to incident response, documentation and notifications, as well as being a subject matter expert during on scene responses.
- Clean kennels and vehicles, and bath and feed the canines.
- Flexible with work-hours in order to respond to urgent issues and to situational needs and requirements of the workload.
- Maintain strict discretion and confidentiality.
- Possess excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Understand and successfully handle various operational issues.
- Interfacing with the public and present a professional image and demeanor at all times.
- Be comfortable scanning crowds with their canines for detection.
- 2 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility within security, military police, law enforcement or related investigations discipline. Security K9 handling experience is accepted.
- Minimum six (6) months Animal Handling experience with a professional agency or organization; within the last eight (8) years.
- Must be able to attend K9 school including traveling out of state for up to seven weeks and pass K9 certification every six months.
- Experience in fundamental business skills and proficiency in standard office software programs, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Prior Law Enforcement/Military K9 handling experience
- Knowledge of Area Search techniques
- Knowledge of Walt Disney World property and resources
- Knowledge and understanding of Walt Disney World policies and procedures
- Previous courtroom/testimony experience
Additional Information:SCHEDULE AVAILABILITY
Our Theme Parks and Resort Hotels operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Schedules and start times are subject to vary.
- The Canine Handler position is a costumed hourly role.
Please upload your resume, any animal or canine related documentation and/or certifications.
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Paid Time Off
Disney Theme Park Experiences
Disability Accommodation for Employment Applications
The Walt Disney Company and its Affiliated Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and welcome all job seekers including individuals with disabilities and veterans with disabilities. If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or apply for a position, email Candidate.Accommodations@Disney.com with your request. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or correspondence. We will only respond to those requests that are related to the accessibility of the online application system due to a disability.