Walt Disney World Horticulture Professional Internship - Summer 2018Apply Job ID 508774BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Walt Disney World Resort Category Sciences and Animal Programs Date posted 12/01/2017
“We make magic.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Be a part of a transformative team and culture… It is all about show business at the Walt Disney World Resort. To help set the stage, Disney’s Horticulture, which includes a talented Cast of over 500 gardeners, arborists, irrigation specialists and pest management technicians maintains over 4,200 acres of landscaped gardens 365 days a year. These award winning gardens include millions of bedding plants, shrubs and trees, plus acres and acres of finely manicured turf throughout the Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney’s Horticulture is dedicated to creating and preserving the “magical” Guest experience through horticulture and with these actions, we are an exemplary steward of the environment, plus a source of beauty, refreshment, and inspiration for all who work and vacation here.
ResponsibilitiesDisney’s Horticulture Professional Intern Program is designed to provide qualified students with the opportunity to further their knowledge through practical hands on work experience. Students will be assigned to various regions of the landscape operation. In addition to the work experience students must participate in the program activities, which include weekly seminars, projects and plant/pest identification.
Basic QualificationsWhat You Bring to the Role…
- Studying Horticulture or a related field in school
- Brown steel toed shoes or boots
- Valid Driver’s License
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety climates including extreme heat and extreme cold conditions
- Comfortable lifting a minimum of 15 pounds, bending and stretching for long periods of time
- Comfortable working early morning hours
The Intern’s preferred qualifications include:
- Proven experience or education around working with landscape equipment
- Minimum of 3 Months proven leadership experience in a work, class, or volunteer environment
Required EducationCurrently enrolled, or a recent graduate of a college/university focusing studies within a related landscape or horticulture field
Preferred EducationPrefer a minimum of Junior level status
Company OverviewThe Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
Additional InformationInternship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months of the start date of the internship for which you are applying for OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Not have already completed two consecutive (spring/fall) College or Professional Internship Programs
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve
Recommendation – Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.